November 27, 2008

Leaving San Francisco

So, today we leaving San Francisco – home – and flying to Hong Kong. I have been looking forward to this trip all year and am excited that the time of departure has finally arrived!

For the past few days I have started to contemplate the assumptions I have about this trip and the destinations and experiences we have planned. What is Southeast Asia like? How will I experience these distant place? What are my preconceived notions? I have read about the cultures – both present and past – the history, architecture, and food; I have listened to what others have to say. But what will these places be like for me?

One thing I know for sure is that we will be visiting places unlike any I have experienced thus far. I will have the opportunity to immerse myself in a culture that is very different from my native culture – it will be a world that is new to me. And I look forward to experiencing and learning! Off we go!

No comments: