December 6, 2008

Food in Filipino Culture



Before traveling to the Philippines I had the opportunity to attend gatherings with or be welcomed into the homes of several of my husband's relatives and Filipino friends living in the USA. On each occasion the hosts were gracious and offered me food regardless of the time of our arrival. I have come to learn this thoughtful gesture is very important in Filipino culture. Upon arrival in Manila, I have experienced this type of hospitality on a scale much grander than I could have ever imagined.

While I am accustomed to kind and welcoming hosts from different cultures, here the generosity overflows in the form of plates and plates of good food. Sarap! (For the readers, who like myself have a limited grasp of Tagalog, Sarap translates to the English word Delicious.) From family gatherings, to parties, to restaurants hosts welcome everyone with refreshments and treats.

Throughout my stay I have been overwhelmed at the hospitality and genuine goodness of the people of the Philippines. I am extremely thankful for the warmth that has been extended to me during my stay!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Mmmmmmmm. Are you getting us some new recipes?