March 12, 2009

More Adventures in Chattanooga

So, my five days in Chattanooga have come to an end, and I am back in California now. When I flew east I had a very narrow view of what to expect at my destination. But, during my stay I was pleasantly surprised that some of my preconceived notions turned out to be false.
Food. I will admit I was very worried about food in Chattanooga. Being vegetarian and used to eating lots fresh California vegetables and cheeses, I was concerned that my sustenance options in Tennessee might be limited. (Previously my image of southern food was fried and greasy – period.) So, I was happy to find whole wheat pizza for dinner the first night, vegetarian samosas at a reception on Thursday evening, and an excellent cheese plate on Friday evening. And during my whole trip I only had one encounter with local fried food – a fried pickle. I tried this unique breaded and fried pickle at the small (and aptly named) Pickle Barrel on Market Street. It was interesting... I'll leave it at that!

Then on my last day in Tennessee I went to the Historic St Elmo district of Chattanooga for lunch and to ride the Incline Railway. I was joined by coworkers and we had a fabulous meal at Blacksmith's Bistro. The menu at this friendly cafe is fresh and creative. I enjoyed a roasted tomato and Point Reyes blue cheese (from just north of San Francisco) salad with crispy pommes frites – and ended my meal with profiteroles.

Following lunch we rode the Incline Railway up to Lookout Mountain. I had expected the terrain around Chattanooga to be flat and boring – not covered with rolling hills. At the top of Lookout Mountain the view is amazing – green fields and rolling hills stretch for miles and miles. Beautiful and stately houses stand guard on top of this natural watchtower. Lookout Mountain is actually a plateau and played a role in both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.

I have to admit several things in Tennessee – the food, the landscape – me. And I ended up having a much better trip than I had foreseen!

2 comments:

Kimberly Michalski said...

I love TN! The Smoky Mtns are just amazing!

Shanthy said...

Wonderful!