April 27, 2009

My Favorites Around the City – San Francisco Part One

Over the last few months, during my lull in traveling, I have had the opportunity to write about several of my favorite restaurants here in San Francisco. In the next few posts I have decided to continue sharing my favorite places – both simple and extravagant.

For me the perfect day in San Francisco is spent relaxing, walking around, and enjoying the city. The Mission District is, in my opinion, the best place to do this. The crazy, eclectic blend of shops, restaurants, and sites in this area are perfect for me! From clothing and furniture to coffee shops and wine bars to parks this is where most of my favorite places are located.

The perfect start to a day in the Mission District begins with breakfast at Boogaloos. At the corner of Valencia and 22nd Streets, this funky cafe serves fabulous breakfasts. Hearty ingredients – eggs, cheese, salsa, chorizo, polenta, plantains, potatoes, biscuits, and pancakes – are served with excellent coffee, creamy hot chocolate, or fresh juices.

Eight blocks north a small women's clothing shop on 16th Street has become my favorite place for dresses and other cute clothes. Sunhee Moon is a local San Francisco designer with two stores – one here and another on Fillmore Street. The designer's classic and simple designs and rich, basic colors are beautiful!

Between breakfast and my favorite clothing shop Valencia Street is a vibrant place to stroll, shop, or watch people. After walking around, it's time to relax in the park. San Francisco is a vibrant and diverse city and there is no place this is more apparent than in Mission Dolores Park on sunny afternoons. This long grassy hillside is a few blocks west of Valencia Street, bordered by 18th, Dolores, 20th, and Church Streets. Hundreds of people come here to leave the bounds of their small apartments and relax. On warm weekend afternoons the grass is hidden beneath people from all walks of life sitting on blankets, chairs, and mats – all enjoying the sunshine.

On Mission Street, back down near 20th Street, is Cha Cha Cha, a tapas restaurant and bar. Reasonably priced, the atmosphere here is fun and casual. The food is excellent and is, for the most part, served as small plates. My favorites are fried platanos maduros, sauteed mushrooms, fried new potatoes, Spanish rice and black beans, and sangria. A great place for a fun and yummy evening!
More San Francisco favorites to come in future posts!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Sounds delicious, as usual!

Jessica said...

By the way, for more pictures of SF (& the rest of the world) you can check out my photo blog:


Pictures of My World