May 26, 2009

Market in the Emerald City

I have been visiting Seattle and Pike Place Market for about ten years. It is a great place to browse, explore, and eat! Very early this morning I found myself pulling into a parking spot right outside the market. A sequence of sad events, unexpectedly, caused me to be in the Emerald City from about 6:00am until noon today. So, I decided to spend that time at Pike Place Market – with my camera browsing, shopping, exploring, and trying to relax.

I arrived before the fish were placed out for sale at Pike Place Fish Market. The whole market was quiet and almost deserted. The shops were all locked up and there was a calm feeling of anticipation. The shelves were empty – no fruit, no flowers, no fish – and only a few workers arriving to begin their jobs. I wondered around the deserted market for about an hour before the stalls and shops began to open. Then within about an hour the market became alive! Vendors quickly stacked their stalls with flowers, fruit, fish, honey, crafts, and other items for sale. Tourists started arriving in droves to see the fishmongers throw the fish to customers. Locals came for coffee, pastries, flowers, and to talk to friends. The bustling market day had begun.

I spent the rest of my morning walking around – browsing and taking photograph of the many wares now filling the shelves of the stalls. I visited several of my favorite shops – Le Panier, Three Girls Bakery, and Moon Valley Honey. Other shops I like at the market are Beecher's Handmade Cheese, Crepe de France and the Crumpet Shop.

Pike Place Market is always a good place to spend a morning exploring!

3 comments:

mandy said...

what, brunch at the pidgeon coop doesn't get a review?

Judy said...

Glad you could make use of your circumstances, Jess! And I think that the Pidgeon Coop should get rave reviews!

Jessica said...

Brunch at the Pidgeon Coop totally rocked - but it's not open to the public... Picnic at the Pidgeon Coop was fantastic too - especially the grilled veggies after you saved them from my silly mistake!