October 13, 2009

Back in Boston

I was born in New England. Surrounded by history, rolling hills, brightly colored fall leaves, wild beaches with cold waters, and tradition, this is where I grew up. New England, and specifically the state of Massachusetts and the city of Boston, are special to me. In 2005, I moved across the country – from Boston to San Francisco. This was a new beginning for me. I went to graduate school, changed careers, and met and married Jonathan. And I became happy.

Saturday morning we got up way very early to go to the airport and fly to Boston. Our flight took off before the sun and flew east across the country, arriving in Boston Logan's Airport in the mid-afternoon. The weather for our arrival was sunny with a few clouds. We collected our luggage and went out to the curb to get our ride!


Our first destination in the city was Beacon Hill. We walked down the brick sidewalks on Charles Street and into the Public Garden. Past the small shops, the Make Way for Ducklings statues, and the pond in the garden. The sounds, smells, and sights surrounded me and reminded me of when this was my home. My old neighborhood, the public garden, the cafe on the corner. The Boston air is crisp and filled with the scents of fall.


It is good to be back. It is great to be here with Jonathan and I am looking forward to showing him around New England.


After our afternoon walk through the Public Garden and my old neighborhood we headed to the South End for dinner. We had decided to try Estragon, a Spanish tapas bar on Harrison Street. When we were arrived we welcomed by the staff and promptly seated. The restaurant is elegant and cheerful and our waiter was wonderful – friendly and accommodating. We ordered the tortilla, two orders of coles de bruselas (one with and one without chorizo), queso a la plancha, patatas bravas, gambas, jamon iberico, panceta, and wine. Everything was absolutely fabulous! The brussels sprouts were perfect – crispy with excellent flavors. For dessert we got a flan and a chocolate mousse (which was flavored with orange). Again both were excellent. The meal was amazing – great food and a great restaurant. I would love to eat here again sometime!


Now, I'm looking forward to the rest of our week in New England and then heading to New York City next week!

No comments: