October 17, 2009

A Day in Cambridge Side

After the Freedom Trail and a couple afternoons of exploring and shopping in Boston, my husband and I got on the T and headed to Cambridge. Our first destination was Harvard Square to meet my step-sister for lunch. The weather was cloudy and unseasonably cold. We emerged from the subway tunnels to wind and light rain.

We walked to Algiers, a coffee house on Brattle Street. When I lived in Boston I often met my sisters or friends here for lunch. It is a great place to relax, talk, and eat a good lunch. On this occasion, my sister and I ordered cheese wrap sandwiches with brie and Jonathan ordered the mergeuze plate. With the blustery weather outside we all opted for mint tea with our food. Everything was just as I had remember – very good! The cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce were wrapped in pita and then grilled and the tea was excellent.

After a relaxing lunch and lots of catching up, Jonathan and I headed off to check out the shops and sights around Harvard Square. I was surprised at the number of changes – shops I remembered had closed or moved and new ones occupied the space. I was happy to find the Globe Corner Bookstore in its new location on
Mt. Auburn Street. This has been a favorite bookstore of mine for many years!

Our last stop in Harvard Square was L.A. Burdicks. This cafe is home to my favorite hot chocolate anywhere – and the perfect beverage for a cold day! We enjoyed our hot chocolates and the cozy warmth of the crowded cafe.

Before taking the T back to Boston, we walked down Massachusetts Avenue to Central Square, bustling along in the brisk air. And our short Cambridge tour drew to a close.

No comments: