October 6, 2009

San Francisco Favorites – Part Four

New and old favorites around the city...

It has been over four years since I moved from Boston to San Francisco. During my time here I have enjoyed this amazing city – especially the wonderful food. I have come to add some places to my favorites list – Amelie, Iluna Basque, Boogaloos, and Delfina Pizzeria, to name a few. We are always discovering new places to add to the list; so, here are some new (and a few old) favorites.

Potrero Hill is my favorite neighborhood in San Francisco. It is quiet and friendly, and home to two of the favorite places I am writing about today – Sunflower Vietnamese Restaurant and Aperto.

First, Sunflower. A new addition to the neighborhood, this is a comfortable, casual, and reasonably priced restaurant. The food is excellent and made with fresh ingredients – perfect Vietnamese noodles, soups, and other dishes. This is a great place for a simple, relaxing, and healthy dinner. Some of my favorite dishes are the vegetarian imperial rolls (an unhealthy indulgence), the pan fried noodles, the noodle soups, and the spicy green beans.

Now, on to another Potrero Hill restaurant, Aperto. This is a warm and cozy Italian eatery with outstanding food. On our most recent visit I ordered beet and ricotta gnocchi and my husband ordered the rack of lamb. The gnocchi was amazing – fresh and delicious! Jonathan enjoyed his lamb and we both shared some roasted garlic cauliflower and then a chocolate souffle. Alone every dish was wonderful and together it was a fantastic meal.

Just down from Potrero Hill in SOMA is another place I enjoy eating at – South Food + Wine Bar. A one thousand square foot restaurant, this is a great place for dinner, a drink, or some snacks. The staff is friendly and accommodating, the atmosphere is warm and fun, and (importantly) the food is excellent!

I will write about some of my other favorites soon!

No comments: