February 19, 2010

Flavors of India in Washington DC

So recent snowstorms – and the associated necessity to enjoy the snowflakes and shovel – has gotten me a bit behind on blogging. But, I will do my best to catch up in the next few days.

In the beginning of February my aunt took Jonathan and I to dinner at one of her favorite restaurants in the city. Located in the Penn Quarter of Washington DC, Rasika is a modern Indian restaurant named after the Sanskrit word for flavors.

The restaurant interior is contemporary with exotic design accents. A curtain of chandelier crystals separate the dining room and bar areas; while soft hues of yellow add warmth to the space.

But, on to the food... My aunt also ordered her favorite dish – palak chaat (crispy spinach) – to start. Then we ordered a variety of different dishes to share – dal, cucumber raita, malai palak (spinach), paneer with a creamy saffron sauce, roast bison, seasonal vegetables, and mint paratha. Everything was delicious! The flavors of the different dishes we ordered were unique and intense – each celebrating different tastes of Indian cuisine.

No comments: