February 2, 2010

In Search of Brunch

Weekend brunch is one of my favorite meals. Living in San Francisco there were some fantastic restaurants to go to for brunch. Since moving to Washington DC two months ago, my husband and I have been in search of the perfect place for brunch. So far we have found some interesting cafes – but not yet achieved our goal.

We have been to a variety of places and some were not bad.

Bardia's New Orleans Cafe in Adams Morgan was good. It is a cozy cafe and the food was homemade and unique. Jonathan and I both had poached egg dishes – eggs sardou (eggs on artichokes with creamed spinach and hollandaise sauce) for me and creole eggs benedict for him. In addition, we shared an order beignets, Jonathan had chicory coffee and I had hot chocolate. The beignets were very good – puffy and warm. Jonathan enjoyed his coffee, but the hot chocolate a bit too sweet for me.

Other places we have tried are the Grill from Ipanema and L'Enfant Cafe and Bar. Jonathan enjoyed the Brazilian brunch at the first restaurant and I enjoyed the hot chocolate and crepes at the second.

That said, none of these restaurants have come close to being a new brunch favorite. So, the search continues... Any suggestions?

No comments: