February 19, 2010

Now a Visit to Vinoteca

In previous posts I discussed my visits to two Washington DC wine bars, Veritas Wine Bar and Cork Wine Bar. Today I am going to write about Vinoteca Wine Bar & Bistro. While I would say the afore mentioned two are definitely my favorite wine bars in the city for their more quiet ambiences, excellent wines (especially at Veritas), and good food – this place is a fun place to visit too.

Located in the U Street Corridor, this wine bar and bistro was quite crowded when Jonathan and I arrived on a chilly Friday night. The atmosphere in both the bar and dining room areas is warm and lively – reminiscent of a neighborhood meeting place.

We got a glass of wine while we waited to be seated at our table and for my husband's friend to arrive. Even with a crowd that was fairly large for the small bar area, service from the bartenders was attentive and prompt. And soon we were all seated at our table chatting in the cozy dining room.

For dinner we ordered some cheeses and charcuterie, a grilled flatbread, homemade sweet potato gnocchi, and a pork belly dish. My favorite thing was the gnocchi – it was soft and light and very tasty! But, the cheeses were also very good. My other dinner companions enjoyed the non-vegetarian items as well.

The wines we tried during the evening were good and reasonably priced. No, Vinoteca has not made my favorites list – but it is a fun and lively place to spend an evening with friends!

No comments: