March 30, 2010

The Vibe of New York City

Every city has its own vibe – the romance of Paris or the fresh air of San Francisco. In New York there is a level of intensity. It is, after all, the city that never sleeps and the energy on the streets reflects that sentiment.

As you may have guessed from my previous blog posts, New York City is one of my favorite places to visit. And now that I live on the east coast it is more assessable to me! So, to continue the celebration I began in the Penn Quarter, the following weekend I took the Bolt Bus to New York to visit a friend.

All over the globe each city has its own energy and rhythm – you can see it as people walk down the streets and cars wrestle for space on the crowded roadways. New York is a vibrant and diverse city. It is a blend of many cultures from around the world and yet it is still a uniquely American city. It is full of life and the energy of the city has a feeling of being constantly on the move. People here are going places – or at least want to be upwardly mobile.

That brings me to the next part – like in any city things in New York are far from perfect. There is poverty and crime. There is noise and pollution. There is traffic. It is a city – a major metropolitan area.

But, New York is still a place I love to visit.

I arrived in New York in the afternoon and I began by sitting in Bryant Park for a bit. I have always enjoyed this park – it is geographically close to Times Square and yet so different from that world of neon lights a tourists. This park is a wonderful place to go for lunch, to sit with friends, or read a book.

I was lucky to be gifted with the most magnificent weather for the duration of my stay! Springtime with warm sunshine every day.

No comments: