September 6, 2010

From the Streets of DC

Ah, Washington, DC – the Nation’s Capitol! The city’s name evokes iconic images, including the United States Capitol Building, the White House, and the Washington Monument. It also linked with the politics and power of the United States of America. This is our seat of government; this is the heart and soul of our country.

For almost 20 years I have had the opportunity to visit this place, see the sights, walk through the museums, enjoy the restaurants, and watch history unfold.

Now, I call Washington, DC home. Since moving here with my husband I have had the opportunity to rediscover this city from a new perspective – as a resident. This city is as diverse as the nation it represents on a daily basis. Washington is home to many different ethnic and racial groups; as well as people from every point on the socioeconomic scale. It is a city of long time permanent residents, temporary workers, and visiting diplomats.

Washington is also home to some amazing architecture and many monuments to the history of our country. There is a vastness to the grassy mall that illustrates our national pride and potential. It is a place for thought, reflection, and imagination.

This is some of what I have seen in my new home city this summer...

2 comments:

Don said...

Thanks for posting this... It has been a long time since I have been to D.C. I have to get there soon...

Don

Suzhou said...

It is fun to see DC through your eyes!