October 15, 2010

Capitol Markets

I have called Washington DC home for almost a year now. During that time I have witnessed the most snowfall this city has seen in a century, experienced a summer of record high temperatures, and am slowly settling into my new city. Prior to arriving here in the Nation's capitol I experienced life in San Francisco, Boston, and several other cities around the globe.

So, here I am – in Washington. One thing that has surprised me about this city is the farmer's markets. There are several different markets held throughout the city every week making fresh produce, baked goods, and meat products accessible to urban dwellers. In other cities I have lived in the farmer's markets are often in out of the way places or take place at early morning hours.

Not in Washington! Here there are four farmer's markets that are convenient for me to shop at during the week – the Columbia Heights Community Marketplace, the Farmfresh Market at Penn Quarter, the Capitol Harvest on the Plaza and the USDA Farmers Market. On weekends, we sometimes go to Eastern Market or the Dupont Circle Farmers Market.


We enjoy the fruits, vegetables, bread, cheese, meats, and other tasty snacks I buy at these markets! I am thankful to be able to live in a city and still be able to buy fresh food from local farmers and artisans.

No comments: