May 15, 2011

Brunch at Bistro Cacao - Princess Parking, Okay Food, Waiter Fail

Normally I do not like to blog about a destination, restaurant, shop, hotel, or other location unless I am enthusiastic about recommending it to my readers. But, every now and then I go somewhere and have a less than perfect experience that I consider worth sharing. This is one of those occasions.

Brunch is one of my favorite meals. Whether at home or at a cafe, weekend brunch is a time to relax and enjoy time with family and friends. Sunday May 8th - Mother's Day - we headed to Bistrot Cacao for brunch after dragon boat practice. On the drive over I kept my fingers crossed that we would be able to find a parking spot AND be seated (sans reservations) without too much of a wait.

When we arrived at the restaurant Jonathan found an empty parking spot right across the street from the restaurant. Princess parking for Sunday brunch! (Great start...) We crossed the street and were seated promptly at a table on the restaurant’s outdoor patio. It was a beautiful day - perfect for sitting outside and enjoying the springtime weather. (Another good omen!)

The brunch menu at Bistro Cacao is pre-fixe and includes a pastry, a main dish (eggs, french toast, sandwiches, etc.), and two side dishes (sausage, fruit, potatoes, salad, etc.). We ordered some sparkling water, selected our main dishes, and sat back to relax and watch the world go by. And we waited for our food. Several other tables were served their pastry basket - which looked delicious - but ours never came. After waiting for a while, I inquired with our waiter but it still did not come. And we continued to wait. Eventually our food did arrive (minus the pastry basket). My quiche was good - not fabulous - but good, as was Jonathan’s steak and eggs.



While the waiter was not absent throughout our time at the cafe, he just did not add value to our experience. After we had finished our food our waiter finally came back and asked if we wanted him to bring our pastry basket. At this point we were full and no longer wanted any more food. I said no, it was too late. The only thing the waiter delivered promptly to our table was our check. Considering the okay food and rather spotty service I felt the cost of the meal far exceeded the value. I do not think I will return to Bistro Cacao again, but especially not for brunch.

No comments: