May 22, 2011

The World Did Not End - Pack Your Bags and Travel!

Yesterday, according to one man in Alameda, California, the world was supposed to come to an end. But, the anointed hour came and went and time continued to move forward. The world did not end. And good thing, because there are still a lot of destinations around the globe I have yet to visit. In other words, I still have a lot of traveling to do!

But, back to the end of the world for a moment. I am not a religious person and this is not a blog about religion. However, I do think that the world were to come to an end individuals would not be judged on their belief in a certain god or ideal, but as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. so eloquently put it, “by the content of their character”. One of the most valuable lessons I have learned from travel is that the differences of culture, religion, and race of people around the world is something to be celebrated not feared. And this is one of the reasons I continue to travel and visit other cultures.

Which brings me back to the subject of travel. As you may have guessed reading this blog, travel is my passion. I am currently in the planning stages of a couple different trips. First, my husband and I will be taking a road trip in the early summer to New England, stopping in New York City on the way up and the back. Further in the future I am planning a trip to northern Spain.

While I am looking forward to both of these adventures, I am also enjoying this planning stage of the trip. In some ways I like the research and preparation part of travel almost as much as the journey itself. Reading and looking at pictures of a destination helps me begin to understand a little about the place and sparks my curiosity to learn more. Travel is a vicious cycle, the more I see of the world the more places I want to go. I remember once hearing someone say, the more you travel the bigger the world becomes. That is definitely true for me. And one of the reasons I continue to explore our planet.

Why do you travel? (Or encourage others to do so?) Please share your thoughts here in the comments below or post them on my Facebook page. Thanks and happy travels!

No comments: