July 22, 2011

My 7 Links: Through My Eyes

When I first heard about Tripbase’s My 7 Links Project I thought it was really cool. The goal of the project is to “unite bloggers (from all sectors) in a joint endeavor to share lessons learned and create a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts that deserve to see the light of day again.” So, I was excited when Kathy from Food Lover’s Odyssey nominated me to participate.

But, where to begin?

I began this blog in November 2008 on a trip to the Philippines and Hong Kong as a place to chronicle and share my experiences, thoughts, ideas, opinions, and visions on my first trip to Southeast Asia. My husband is Filipino and our trip was an opportunity for him to share his native country with me.

To me, Southeast Asia was a dizzying and exotic locale. Everything was new - tastes, sights, smells, and experiences. The only grounding aspects to the adventure were family and the hospitality of the Filipino people. And through the trip I blogged. Through words I not only shared my experiences with my readers, but I gained a deeper appreciation for the culture I was visiting.

Since then I have continued to blog and share my travels - both near and far. Here are my 7 links.

1. Most Beautiful: The Museum at Night

When I first thought about this category I decided I must select a photography post. However, it was hard for me to decide which photo deserved this honor. I finally decided to go with my current favorite; however, others I considered were Love on a Wall, In the Middle of the Waves, or Wild West - Wild World.

2. Most Popular: My Favorite Travel Indulgence

This post was in response to The Travel Belles Across the Cafe Table #1 question: What is your secret travel indulgence? When I saw that question I instantly knew what to write about - afternoon tea. It has been a tradition (obsession?) of mine to go to afternoon tea when I travel. I was thrilled to receive a lot of positive response from readers about this post!

3. Most Controversial:  Reflection and Observation

Like Kathy (Food Lover’s Odyssey) who nominated me to participate in this project I am realizing I do not write controversial posts. But, in lieu of a true controversial post, here is what I wrote upon returning from my first visit to Southeast Asia. This post is important to me because I wrote it near the beginning of my journey as a blogger - and I feel where I really found my voice. In addition, it was the post in which I shared my thoughts some of the aspects of Southeast Asia that surprised me - like the numerous advertisements for skin lightening creams.

4. Most Helpful: San Francisco - a Last Few Favorites

When I lived in San Francisco I wrote several posts about my favorite places in the city and this is the last one in I posted before moving to Washington, DC. Here are the links to my other favorites posts from the City by the Bay...

Favorites Around the City - San Francisco Part One
Favorites Around the City - San Francisco Part Two
Favorites Around the City - San Francisco Part Three
San Francisco Favorites - Part Four
San Francisco Favorites - Part Five

Enjoy next time you are in San Francisco!

5. Surprisingly Successful: Eating in Manhattan After Work...

I wrote this post between returning from a brief work trip to New York City and going on vacation. I wanted to share my food-related experiences before getting caught up in the vacation whirlwind of family, friends, and fun.

6. One That Didn't Get the Attention it Deserved: A Trip Across the Border - A Short Visit in Vancouver

While I think this post deserves more attention, I also think the city of Vancouver deserves more of my time. Unfortunately, this short visit is the only time I have been able to spend in this vibrant place. I hope to be able to return again sometime...

7. A post I am most proud of: Visiting Stonehenge and the City of Bath

I had been to London and Manchester many times before this trip, however I had never ventured outside of the city. When my husband Jonathan and I were planning this trip to Europe he insisted on including Stonehenge on our itinerary. And I am glad he did - it was really cool to see this circle of stones in person!

Thank you Kathy for nominating me to participate in this project and spend some time looking back at my journey as a blogger and traveler.

My nominations for the My 7 Links Project are:

The District Chocoholic
Zizi's Adventures
Tales of a Brit Abroad
Starry-Eyed Travels
Good Global Citizen

2 comments:

Kathy from Food Lover's Odyssey said...

Jessica - Love your 7 choices. Food posts are always popular with me! I do have to agree that the photo of the Louvre at night is quite beautiful.

Jessica said...

Thanks Kathy! I took the picture of the Louvre on our trip to Paris last winter. For some reason Paris at night looks more etherial in the cold...