August 10, 2011

Across the Cafe Table - Souvenirs

So, it is time for another Across the Cafe Table discussion with The Travel Belles! This month’s question asks:

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE "SOUVENIR" (MATERIAL OR NOT)?

Yes, I enjoy shopping when I travel. I like to find clothing and shoes and other items that are unique and different from what I can acquire back home. And I love discovering new and delicious chocolates wherever I am and bringing some back home. However, these things are not my favorite souvenirs...

No matter where I travel - or what the purpose of my trip is - the memories of my experiences and the photographs I take are always my favorite remembrances of a trip. Each of my experiences - the sights, sounds, tastes, and smells - are recalled whenever I look back at the photographs I took that day.

Here are some of those memories...

Stonehenge
Last winter I remember visiting Stonehenge... The day was cold and the wind was biting up on the top of the hill by the ancient stone circle. However, seeing the site in person made me pause. There is something powerful about standing by a structure that has seen so much history pass since it was created by a now forgotten people.

Kennebunkport, Maine
Two years ago my husband Jonathan and I spent a week traveling around New England. We went to Boston, the small town where I grew up in rural Massachusetts, and Maine. It was Jonathan’s first time seeing where I was from and I was delighted to be his tour guide. One of his wishes for this trip was to eat Maine lobster in Maine. So, when we drove up the Maine coast with my father I asked him help me with this request. My dad found this a charming restaurant overlooking a protected harbor in Kennebunkport that was just perfect!

White Beach
Boracay, Philippines
I have written about White Beach in Boracay before here and for The Travel Belles. This is one of the first pictures I took when we went there. It reminds me of the soft sand on my feet, the sparkling blue water, and the relaxing week we spent visiting this wonderful island.

To read about how other Travel Belles answered this week’s Across the Cafe Table question here.

7 comments:

Margo said...

love all the photos, particularly the Stonehenge one. Is that snow?? I love my photographs as souvenirs too.. Even if they aren't my "best" photos, sometimes they can take you right back to a moment and you can remember exactly what it felt like to be in a certain place.

Jessica said...

Thanks Margo! Yes! That is snow....

Tuula said...

Photos are some of my favorite souvenirs too - you did a great job capturing Stonehenge - totally lovely in the snow!

Jessica said...

Thanks Tuula!

Food Lover Kathy said...

Jessica - Photos are my favorite souvenir, too! All of your photos are just beautiful along with the memories attached to them.

Jessica said...

Thanks Kathy!

Katy said...

Photos have a power to transport you back to a place and yours certainly capture great travel moments!