October 2, 2011

Global Sandwiches in Washington DC

Continuing my sandwich theme from my recent post about the new Paul Bakery in DC. Sandwiches are simple, often considered humble, fare. Easy to eat with your hands, they are ubiquitous on-go-food.

Recently a new, creative sandwich shop - SUNdeVICH. Located in a converted garage space down an alley near the Washington Convention Center it not easy to find. When the weather is nice there is a chalk board outside the door announcing they are open, otherwise there is no sign. But, once you find it I think you will be pleasantly surprised...


The idea behind SUNdeVICH is that each sandwich is named after and inspired by food from a different city around the globe. Each sandwich is served on a large baguette and is definitely a substantial meal. My husband and I have eaten at SUNdeVICH a few times since it opened, giving me the opportunity to taste a couple of their creations.


The first sandwich I tried - the Cairo - has become my favorite. It is a wonderful combination of brined vegetables, hummus, walnuts, and fresh herbs. I also tried the Isfahan which contains feta and a souffle of spinach, mushroom, walnut, barberry. Each sandwiches had very different flavors and both were delicious! My husband Jonathan has enjoyed trying the Beirut and Buenos Aires sandwiches. We look forward to continuing our global sandwich travels at SUNdeVICH...


3 comments:

Zizi said...

This place sounds very good! These sandwiches tastes delicious!

Rambling Tart said...

Ohhh, I love good sandwiches!! :-) And I love how light and bright your site is. Great job!

Jessica said...

@ Zizi - It's a great place!

@ Krista - Thanks! :-)