November 10, 2011

Across the Cafe Table - A Coat from Hong Kong

It is time again for The Travel Belles monthly discussion, Across the Café Table. This month we are all blogging about this question:

WHAT IS YOUR BEST SHOPPING FIND EVER FROM A VACATION?

As always, I can think of several different ways to answer this query. However, this month one item sticks out – a coat I purchased in Hong Kong three years ago.

In November and December 2008 my husband and I traveled to Hong Kong and the Philippines. It was my first trip to Asia. We spent a weekend in Hong Kong, a week in Manila, a week at the beach in Boracay, and finally another weekend in Hong Kong before flying home. I was overwhelmed, excited, and intrigued by the experience. The crowds in the cities and on the streets were nothing like I had experienced in the western world. The traffic was nuts. The food was both intimidating and delicious. And the shopping was amazing!

In Asia, customer service and appearance are extremely important. And in Hong Kong shopping seems to be a national pastime. The city is filled with high end international boutiques and sparkling local shops. There were so many clothes shops and styles that were not available in the United States and at the time the exchange rate was in my favor. On our last day in Hong Kong, we went shopping. I purchased gifts to bring home and clothing for work. Near the end of the day we were wandering around the shops in the Admiralty Building. I walked into one shop and found the perfect wool coat. It was black with three-quarter length bell sleeves and an A-line cut. It was adorable. I already had several bags – and probably already had depleted my allotted shopping budget – but I wanted it. I tried it on several times. I walked back and forth in front of the mirror. Finally as the dinner hour approached my husband insisted I buy the coat. I wore it out of the store and it has been my favorite coat ever since…

5 comments:

Kathryn Schipper said...

Do you have a picture of the coat? It sounds beautiful.

Jessica said...

Hi Kathryn! I'm currently traveling (without my favorite coat). I will have to add a photo later.

Rambling Tart said...

A perfect coat is SO hard to find, and an absolute treasure when you do track it down. :-) Love it!

Bethany said...

Loved reading this post- first thing I read after work and I wore a leather 3/4 coat I bought in Buenos Aires several years ago. I still remember the racks and racks of leather in all colors as we walked through the store. Everything was so soft! Mostly I look for jewelry and chocolate on trips, but my 2 leather coats from Argentina bring back wonderful memories every time I wear them.

Kate Turner said...

Sounds like your husband had the right idea! Great approach to shopping :)