December 14, 2011

Across the Cafe Table - Traveling for the Holidays

So, it’s time for another Across the Café Table, The Travel Belles monthly discussion. This month we are all talking about:

IF YOU HAD TO SPEND THE HOLIDAYS AWAY SOMEWHERE, WHERE WOULD YOU GO AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

For me travel and holidays go together. Growing up my family sometimes traveled for vacations over the holiday season. Then when I worked as a pilot I normally was scheduled to fly on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It became interesting for me to see how different countries around the world decorate for and observe the holiday season.

Now my husband and I still often travel over the holidays. We both enjoy going to new places and discovering the local food, culture, history, and shopping. That experience is a wonderful gift to share together.

Last year traveled to London and Paris over the holiday season. We arrived in London on Christmas Eve and roamed the nearly vacant streets visiting the different historical sites while most Londoners were home enjoying Christmas dinner. The next day we joined the locals and headed to High Street for the Boxing Day sales. Later in the week went took the Eurostar train under the English Channel to Paris for a few days before returning to London to fly back to Washington, DC.

This year we will be staying home and enjoying a quiet holiday. I am looking forward to cooking, eating, drinking some mulled wine, and enjoying time with my husband and aunt. And what about next year? Europe? North America? Asia? South America? Who know – it depends on what destination is at the top of our travel wish list at the time!



Happy holidays and safe travels to all!


8 comments:

Margo said...

I remember you going to London and Paris last Christmas... it looked amazing! I've gotten so I like to mix it up w/ holidays... quite the confession for a holiday traditionalist. I think I got over it when one year we spent Christmas in Berlin. It was before we had kids and first time for both me and Dave to be away from family. It was kind of weird at the time, but it turned out to be one of our most memorable Christmas's.

Katy said...

I have always gone home for Christmas, no matter where I've had to travel from, but one year, I'd really like to go somewhere different - with at least some of my family with me though!

Rambling Tart said...

Your trip to Europe sounds so beautiful. :-) I spent last year in Europe as well - just in time for all that gorgeous snow. :-) But this year will be my quiet one too, and I'm really looking forward to it. :-)

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

@ Margo - I've been in Germany a few times for Christmas & went to some of my favorite Christmas markets ever! I have never been to Berlin though - I hope to go sometime!

@ Katy - I love being in different places around the world at Christmas time! It's wonderful to be able to experience the local traditions - and it's a time when very few other tourists are there so you get a more local experience.

@ Krista - Enjoy Christmas in Australia! It's another country that is still on my list of places I want to visit sometime...

Bethany said...

Well said, Jessie! I'm doing a lot of traveling right now, but honestly I'm looking forward to coming home for the holidays. I think my trip might just work out to get me there in the "Nick" of time :)
Happy holidays to you and Jonathan. I hope you spend it writing about all the fabulous dining you have planned. Can't wait to read it.

Jessica said...

@ Beth - I look forward to chatting with you over the Christmas holiday weekend! :-)

Anonymous said...

nice