February 26, 2012

Finally, a Favorite Place for Tapas Spanish Food in DC...

I love Spanish food and in particular, tapas. I enjoy eating tapas because it is simple and served in small portions which allows me to try lots of different bites in a single meal.


When I lived in San Francisco I had two favorite tapas restaurants - Alegrias Food from Spain and Zarzuela. The first two years I lived Washington, DC I was not able to find a favorite tapas restaurant with good food and ambiance. (I have tried several restaurants, but always left slightly disappointed.) That recently changed. Located only a few blocks from the White House, the World Bank, and International Monetary Fund, Taberna del Alabardero is an old school Spanish restaurant serving tapas and traditional entrees. The decor is formal - red velvet, heavy drapes, and old photographs scattered around the walls. (And, yes, this restaurant has been here all along.)




I met my husband at Taberna del Alabardero for dinner after work one evening. We decided to take a seat at the small bar just inside the door. The bartender, Manolo, helped us each select a glass of wine and we ordered several tapas to start - piquillo peppers stuffed with seafood mousse, pulpo a la gallega (grilled octopus), and a charcuterie platter (for my husband Jonathan).


Pimientos del Piquillo Rellenos de Mariscos con Gulas sobre Chipirona Clásica


Pulpo a la Gallega


A few minutes later we were enjoying our wine with warm bread and some delicious, grassy olive oil. The first dish to arrive was the stuffed peppers. These were served with a pungent sauce made from squid ink which was wonderful with the sweet peppers and light seafood mousse. Next the pulpo and charcuterie arrived. The octopus was tender and served with paprika and salt over potatoes. (This was my favorite dish all night, except for maybe dessert...) Jonathan enjoyed his cured meats, especially the Jamón Ibérico. While Jonathan was eating his charcuterie, I ordered a dish of salted cod fritters. These were light and served on a rich, earthy purée of potatoes and leeks.


Jamón Ibérico de Fermín


Buñuelos de Bacalao sobre Crema ligera de Patata y Puerro con Arenque


Even though I was full after all those tasty tapas, we had to order dessert. While many of the sweet options sounded enticing, Jonathan and I ordered the sponge cake soaked in red wine. I loved this dish when it arrived just because of its presentation. The cake was served with ice cream on top and little round dollops of cream cheese on the side. When It was placed in front of me the wine was poured over it and began seeping into the cake. And while it was lovely, it was also delicious. To accompany our cake Manolo brought us two glasses of late harvest Monastrell wine. It was the perfect accompaniment to a fun evening.


Torrijas de Leche sobre Vino Dulce, Helado de Pan y Queso cremoso de Naranja Crujiente


After our meal of tapas Jonathan and I wanted to try the paella at Taberna del Alabardero. So, about a week later we returned and ordered the Paella de Langosta and a bottle of wine. While waiting for our paella, we shared a bowl of wonderfully creamy artichoke soup. The soup was lovely and the paella arrived... It came in a large paella pan and the waiter transferred it onto two plates for Jonathan and I. The rice was fragrant and delicious and in addition to the shimps, squid, and scallops there was half a lobster per person! Yes, it was a lot of food, but it was so wonderful that I did not want to leave a single grain of rice uneaten on my plate. (Needless to say, we skipped dessert that night.)


Paella de Langosta


Tabla de Quesos Españoles con Membrillo, Guayaba Y Almendra Marcona


Taberna del Alabardero has earned a spot on my list of favorite restaurants in DC. I look forward to going back again and again...



No comments: