July 5, 2012

A Perfect Place for Pakoras and Paneer

I recently noticed a new Indian / Pakistani cafe open near on Georgia Avenue called the Salt and Pepper Grill. While there are several Indian restaurants in Washington, DC they all tend to fall into two categories - good, tip, and elegant or forgettable. There are very few comfy cafes that serve good, authentic Indian or Pakistani food. I checked online and was excited to see Salt and Pepper Grill had been reviewed by a few people, the majority of whom agreed the food was delicious and authentic.

So, with much anticipation my husband Jonathan and I headed over to the Shaw neighborhood to try Salt and Pepper Grill. The cafe is simple - almost no decor, a counter where you order your food, and a few tables. We got fish pakoras, palak paneer, and some whole wheat paratha bread. Then we got some water and sat down to wait for our food.

Fish Pakoras
First the pakoras arrived. They were very good - breaded with a light batter and served with chutney and tamarind sauce. Next we got our palak paneer. This was fresh and delicious - probably the best I have ever had. The bread was also good - warm, flaky, and served with butter.

Since our first visit, this has become one of my favorite places to stop for a simple - delicious - dinner on the way home from dragon boat practice or a long day. On my subsequent visits I have tried other dishes and all of them have been really good. In my opinion Salt and Pepper Grill is the best place to get unpretentious, authentic Indian / Pakistani food in Washington, DC!

No comments: